Children are usually getting themselves into trouble but this time it was not their fault. Two kids from Pennsylvania are in critical condition after they drank tainted apple juice. These two kids drank a juice that appeared to have a caustic substance.
After they drank this substance, both children were taken to the hospital. They suffered severe throat and mouth burns. Ginaya Mendoza (4 years old) and her half-brother Richie Zaragoza (10 years old) are receiving treatment at the Hershey Medical Center.
This unfortunate incident happened at the Star Buffet & Grill. This restaurant has an all-you-can-eat buffet. The kids were there with their parents. The family was celebrating the birthday of the boy, Richie. Despite the fact that it was supposed to be a happy event, it turned out to be the opposite.
The parents figured out that something was wrong after the girl started vomiting. This happened a few minutes after drinking the tainted apple juice. After that, the boy started vomiting blood. Both kids complained that their throats were burning.
After this incident, both children were taken to the hospital at the intensive care unit. They spent Saturday night there and they are still in critical, but stable, condition. The bigger issue is that the boy also suffers from diabetes and cystic fibrosis.
In order to be sure of the substance that caused this problem, doctors mentioned that they are still investigating the blood in his urine. Richie is in a worse condition than his sister due to the fact that he has other health problems. The doctors needed to intubate him and their parent mentioned that the kids are responsive but they are in critical condition.
The girl is better now and she is no longer sedated. Tests have shown that the substance that affected the kids was methanol. This is just one of the substances that were found in the tainted apple juice. The manager of the buffet told the investigators that the juice was purchased from a local supermarket.
The investigators closed the restaurant where the incident took place. They mentioned that the buffet violated building codes. Despite the fact that the Department of Agriculture did not find any imminent health hazards, the restaurant was closed due to the fact that it violated 23 township building codes. Now we’ll just have to wait and see who is responsible for these two children being in critical condition.
What is your opinion about this incident? Who do you think is to blame for this?
Image source: Wikipedia