A new study shows that during summer break kids tend to gain more weight than in any other periods of time. The study published in the journal Obesity put almost 20,000 kindergarten kids under observation. This is how researchers noticed the difference. The findings showed that kids did not gain weight when they were at school.
In order to conduct this study, researchers got data from another study that observed kindergarten kids from 2010 to 2013 when they were in second grade. Both the weight and the height of these kids were measured every fall and spring in order to show the difference. Despite the fact that researchers expected kids to gain weight every month, they only did so during the summer break.
This study was conducted to show what things can make children obese. Researchers wanted to see exactly what affects children’s weight. The obesity levels rose with more than 2.5 percent in those 3 years of study. The number of children that were overweight increased with 6 percent in that period. These increases happened during 2 summer breaks and not while they were in school.
This is a concerning outcome for children because obesity raises the risk for other diseases like diabetes and heart diseases. More and more children these days are obese and this is a problem because they face different health problem in the future. Only 1 percent of children in the U.S have the ideal cardiovascular health which is concerning. The other 99% either have small problems or are obese and tend to develop heart diseases.
Obesity is linked to many health problems, including 13 types of cancer. Diabetes is another disease that is linked to obesity and affects the lives of these children. Researchers mentioned that now, when parents know about the fact that their children tend to gain weight during the summer break, they need to take some measures to stop this.
Doctors also mentioned that is not only the job of the parents because the school should be involved too. They should promote a healthy diet and make more programs that show children what to eat in order to stay healthy. Schools can organize school camps where children will remain active and will eat healthily.
Image source: Wikipedia