Mitt Romney the former Governor of Massachusetts announced on Friday that he would not run in 2017 for president. The announcement cut short a possible third run for the presidency two weeks after he publicly announced an interest.
Romney told supporters in a call on Friday morning that after putting considerable thought into another run for the White House, I have made the decision it is better for the Republican Party to give other leaders the opportunity to be our next presidential nominee.
Romney won the 2012 Republican nomination after running unsuccessfully in 2008, but lost the election to President Barack Obama.
Romney told former staffers, donors and other supporters that he believed the fundraising and political base to win another nomination. He cited recent polls that were positive in his favor.
However, he conceded that the fight would be tough and admitted that one of the new generation of leaders in the GOP could better challenge and defeat the nominee from the Democrats in 2017.
He told listeners that he and Ann his wife believe his decision was what is best for the party as well as the nation.
Romney told his supporters to find another candidate to back. His decision in part was driven by the fact some donors and staffers had already started to make commitments publicly to other GOP candidates.
Romney was aware also that he had to make a quick decision.
The news from Romney instantly scrambled the chase for the White House benefiting all other potential GOP candidates who appeal to the establishment voters in the Republican Party, such as Jeb Bush the former Governor of Florida.
Romney and Bush at one time were competing for commitments from the same strategists and donors. Friday morning Romney was lauded by Bush, in a statement on Facebook.
The renewed interest by Romney in running earlier in January was greeted by some Republicans negatively as they blamed him for not defeating Obama last November.